Thursday, March 22, 2007

Clio the Claw, Part 2

It appears that Ms. Clio (and most likely her sister, too) may have a mild case of oral thrush. I knew that this was a possible explanation for Clio's nursing woes all along. But since the girls didn't have white patches on the insides of their cheeks and lips, which is the most common symptom in infants, and since I didn't have sore / inflamed / otherwise beleaguered nipples, it didn't seem likely. Enter the sore / inflamed / otherwise beleagured nipples.

I can't believe I'm writing about my nipples on the internets. Ah, well.

Anyway, we took the girls into the pediatrician today, and she thought that the coating on their tongues, which I'd heretofore assumed was milk (and which may well be...) looked suspiciously thick. Bottom line: to be safe, we are treating them (and me) for thrush.

It's a pain in the ass -- Nystatin drops in their mouths after feedings four times a day, ointment for me, and we have to boil everything (pacifiers, bottles, pump parts, etc.) every day. I'm taking acidophilus, drinking Pau D'Arco tea, and am theoretically going to cut down on sweets and carbohydrates, which is supposed to help. But I'm not too good at dietary restrictions. Especially when their benefit is questionable at best. It could, I suppose, knock off the last 8 pregnancy pounds.

So, a svelter me and a happier Clio coming soon to a blog near you? Let's hope so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Churlita said...

I'm sorry to hear about the thrush, but I do like to think of someone's nipples as being beleaguered. It makes your breasts seem so put-upon.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vaguely recall a friend and father of 2 (now out of the nest) saying "children are designed for maximum inefficiency"
Or something to that effect.

Hope the drops are cherry flavored or otherwise palatable.
I just read that babies have 100 times more taste buds than us desensitized adults. Designed to entertain us with those dramatic puckered up facial expressions.

Can you nuke all that stuff in the flying saucer instead of boiling all of it?
At least they don't have lice...
Hope this gets flushed out soon so it doesn't put too much of a dent in the last weeks of Baby Honeymoon. 'tho i'm guessing you have more accurate descriptions of the past almost THREE months.
t-minus 9 days~ buster

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home