Friday, March 16, 2007

I heart Elsa & Clio

OK, it's official; I have a total crush on my daughters. And not just because they're sleeping longer at night -- recently doing 5 hour stretches between feedings -- although that certainly is endearing. Mostly it's just that they're turning into such little people.

Elsa will sit in her bouncy seat and grin and squeal with delight at the little stuffed bunny hanging from the crossbar, then give me this sheepish smile, like "I know it's a little silly to get so excited about a bunny, but...A BUNNY!!!" And Clio loves to hang out in her new rainforest chair (a loaner, courtesy of the rad Baby Daddy family). She'll bat at the dangling toys with her feet and hands (not quite intentionally...not yet), which turns on the music and causes the plastic waterfall to light up and the treefrog to move and then she'll just stare at the stuff with a sort of bemused smile on her face, like "Shit, can you believe it? This is CRAZY, man!"

Also, they almost cuddle a little bit now when I pick them up. A tiny hand on my shoulder, a tiny head nuzzling against my neck. Damn, it's sweet. Almost makes me feel like I'm more to them than just a dairy bar.

It's easily enough to outweigh things like the fact that Clio has been a royal pain in the ass the past few days when it comes to nursing. I don't know what her deal is, but she'll nurse happily and voraciously for 5 minutes or so, then pull off and start yelling and clawing at my chest. She's not happy if I try to put her back on, not happy if I don't. Then usually she'll calm down, suck on a pacifier for a little while, and act like she's not hungry at all. Until about 15 minutes later, when she starts crying to be fed, and we repeat the whole routine. Other times, she'll nurse for 5-10 minutes, then start bobbing and slipping on and off the breast like she's forgotten how to latch on. She doesn't show signs of reflux like her poor sister did before Zantac (and did again when I cruelly decided to take her off for a couple of days to see how she did -- one piercing scream of pain was all it took to end that experiment, and make me feel horrible). So who knows what's going on. Maybe it's just a rebellion thing. Crazy Clio.

Well, I normally would balance things out here by writing about some pain in the ass thing that Elsa does -- probably her talent for filling her diaper so completely that she manages to gets poop all up and down her back, on everything she's wearing, and some things she's not -- but as you can see, it's 3:30 in the morning. I've been pumping, the bottles are full, and it's time to go back to bed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Poor Clio. Mariane did that, too. She has silent reflux/Gerd where she doesn't spit up but still has reflux. She takes Maalox before feedings and Prevacid. It's made a real difference. And, my neck doesn't get scratched up anymore from her desperare clawing. She was always hungry but it hurt too much to nurse all the time. Hope Clio is just going through rebellion as opposed to silent reflux.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I love it when they start becoming people.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Eva said...

What a sweet post -- it's fun when you really start falling in love with your kiddos, huh?

How long has the Clio eating thing going on? It sounds a lot like cluster feeding, like maybe she's trying to ramp up your supply, especially if it's only been a couple of days.

Only other thing -- my daughter gets annoyed if I talk when she's nursing. Sounds crazy, but its' true. Sometimes she needs quiet and/or a cloth over her head for privacy/blocking out the world to have a good meal. She's definitely a bobber, too.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home