Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Mama needs new shoes

My feet appear to be growing / swelling. Yesterday morning, I was all excited to put on my favorite black ankle boots, heralding the arrival of cooler weather, and found them a bit snug. Still, I was foolhardy enough to keep them on and attempt my usual 15 minute walk to the T station. After five minutes, my feet were killing me. Aching, throbbing, as if I'd been sightseeing for nineteen hours straight.

Once I sat down on the T, I thought myself recovered, but after a few stops I started feeling like I couldn't get enough air into my lungs, and then I started feeling decidedly faint. I got off at the next stop -- which, happily, was the Mass General stop, both open-air and across from my obstetrician -- inched my way out of the train and onto the platform and, since there were no benches, sat my pregnant ass right down on the ground until I felt better, then got on the next train. But not before three T employees had gathered around to make sure I was all right, urging me not to get back on a train until I was really REALLY sure I was OK. At first I thought they were just being nice, then it occurred to me that rush hour on September 11 is probably not the best time to have people fainting on trains, causing delays and inciting general panic.

When I got to work -- after a brief call to the obstetrician's office for reassurance from the triage nurses -- I promptly went online and did something I've been wanting to do for awhile but told myself was unnecessary/too expensive: ordered myself a pair of Dansko professional clogs. Roomy, orthopedic, and chic in a food service worker kind of way. I am eagerly anticipating their arrival. I'm not entirely sure that my tight shoes were the direct cause of the near-faint, and they certainly weren't the only contributing factor, but any mildly reasonable excuse to drop $100 on leather footwear is good enough for me.

In other news, we went to Babies-R-Us on Sunday to do some registering. What can I say? It's a wonder any of us survived our infancy without an ergonomically correct bouncy seat with six different vibration settings. Or a $300 posture-pedic crib mattress. Or -- and really, any parent who doesn't buy one of these should be reported to DSS -- a baby wipe warmer.

Actually, a serious gear question for the experienced moms out there: they are now making infant seats (rear facing, that detach from the base) that are a little longer and hold kids up to 30 lbs. They are a good 5 or so pounds heavier than the older, smaller kind, but one mother in the store emphatically urged us to get the larger size. Apparently her child is 6 months old and his feet are already kicking the back seat, so she's having to upgrade to the larger size. Is her child just a mutant pituitary case? Or should we get the larger ones to be safe, in spite of the added heft? A. is on the tall side....

3 Comments:

Blogger scruffylooking said...

They have so much more and cooler stuff than when my daughters were born. It's crazy how fast those things progress.

I have very tall daughters, so I may not be very helpful either.

I almost passed out a lot during both my pregnancies. I'm not sure if it was low blood sugar or elevated hormone levels. None of my doctors ever seemed very concerned about it. But I'm a firm believer that comfortable shoes can make all the difference.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about the car seat (yet), but I can tell you that $100 on Danskos will be some of the best money you ever spent. I bought mine in 2001, have logged in thousands of miles waiting tables and walking city blocks, and they're still kicking.

And incidentally, I had that happen with my boots, too. They were tall boots and definitely got too snug, what with all the cellulite I was sporting on my calves, and I got dizzy. I abandoned them for my Danskos. Don't worry, everything will fit again.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah the car seat dilemna. Since I appeared to have a son that was a mutant pituitary case, I wholeheartedly recommend the bigger infant car seat. My son was out of his at 3.5 months! He was 28.5 inches at his early 4 month appt. I actually spoke with a Babies R Us employee who said that once they sell out of their current stock of the smaller Graco Snugrides, Graco will be transitioning only to the larger ones anyway.

Good luck with all of the gear decisions. They are tricky and you are constantly lamenting buying something and wishing you had thought of something else.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home