Friday, January 05, 2007

A few things...

I am working on an account of the girls' birth, which I'll subject you to in the next day or two -- just getting a paragraph down here and there between feedings -- but in the meantime, a few quick observations:

--I feed babies. That is my full time job. I breastfeed and I pump. (Plus some diaper changing and baby holding.) I can feed both girls at the same time with assistance from A. or the doula -- it's almost literally a juggling act. They are learning to latch on better and eat more efficiently, which is nice, since it's been taking us about an hour all told to do each feeding (changing, burping, soothing, etc.). Then two hours more and we do it all again. 24 hours a day.

--The nusing tank, nursing bra and the hands-free pumping bra are three of mankind's greatest inventions.

--My pregnancy weight topped out at about 165 lbs (almost a 50 lb gain). I now weigh about 130. Unbelievable. My favorite maternity jeans, which I couldn't wear the last month of the pregnancy, are now almost too big.

--We picked the right names. Every day the girls feel more and more like what we named them, and more and more like ours. They are absolutely incredible.

--I don't know how ANYone takes care of twins without a husband / mother / hired help around. It seems like it would simply be impossible, and yet it must happen all the time. I feel so blessed to have a husband who can be here to help, in-laws who are paying for extra help for us, and a mom who was willing to spend the first 4 nights at home with us. I don't think we would have eaten otherwise.

--My husband is the greatest guy in the universe. He's so wonderful with the babies, so helpful, so patient. We are absolutely 50/50 in this.

--This is easily the most challenging thing I've ever done, and yet I can't remember the last time I felt so happy and so intensely alive and aware of all the richness, beauty, squalor, heartbreak and gloriousness of the world. I find myself thinking and speaking the word 'God', which I rarely ever did before. Not to refer to any kind of divine being--no thanks--but for this...this...whatever this intensity of emotion and awareness and feeling of interconnectedness with the rest of humanity is. I suppose you could also call it "hormones." But I'm gonna stick with God for now.

My goodness, what an earnest post. This is what parenthood will do to ya. I'll have to be sure to drop a few F-bombs into the birth story, lest anyone think I've turned into a complete sap.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you! It sounds like things are chaotic, insane, and wonderful. I look forward to hearing more....!

- Motel Manager

11:47 AM  
Blogger Churlita said...

If kids could make me sappy, they can do it to anyone.

Yes, isn't it weird when your whole life boils down to feeding and cleaning up poop? It seems so elemental.

It's so fun to read this from someone right as they're going through it.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Eva said...

Congratulations! I can totally relate to your current state as the mother of 4 month old twins. The, all I ever do is feed these beings, state. It may get a bit harder before it gets easier, but I promise, it gets easier!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I just heard the news. I hope someone is bringing you some lasagna.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home