Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The End is Near

I saw my OB yesterday, and he confirmed my suspicion that the abdominal tenderness is most likely due to BFS (Baby Foot Syndrome), in combination with the overall stretching and straining of my uterine walls, stomach muscles, and skin. There's just a whole lot going on in there, he said, and the tenderness is nothing to worry about unless it gets noticeably worse and/or is accompanied by any bleeding or other scary symptoms. So, I am reassured.

I'm also suddenly aware that I'm very much on the home stretch, and that before I know it, these babies are gonna be on the outside. At yesterday's appointment, I was handed a stack of brochures about hospital birth procedures and anasthesia, consent forms, and birth certificate worksheets. I was asked how I planned to feed them (I almost said, "Well, I make a decent living...." until I realized she meant boob or formula) and if we had bought car seats yet. (Yes, and in fact A. and his dad installed them this weekend, just to make sure they fit, weren't defective, etc.)

The weirdest thing, though, was hearing the doc say, "We just want to keep those babies in there for at least another three and a half weeks." Three and a half weeks!! Crazy to think that they could be born that soon, and probably be more or less OK, with a little extra baking in the NICU. But I think they're going to hang in longer than that.

Then, last night, I did a prenatal yoga video, and -- I know this is ridiculous -- but I felt slightly sad about the prospect of not being pregnant anymore. On a psychological level, mind you, not a physical one. All the anticipation and hope and preparation and excitement are so uniquely intense. And then there's the apprehension at the prospect of suddenly having these two new human beings in our life. They may make my back hurt, but they're basically pretty easy to take care of at this point, and I enjoy feeling them wriggling and boogeying in there, so much a part of me. I'm not quite ready to flush them out yet.

3 Comments:

Blogger Motel Manager said...

Gosh, that is soon! I hope they decide to stay longer, of course (if your body can take it). How about another belly shot, hmm?

10:35 AM  
Blogger bejaypea said...

"Flush them out"? Is that how its done these days? It makes childbirth seem like a waterslide. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Churlita said...

I always say that I didn't like being pregnant, and for the most part it's true. Every once in a while though, I remember the feeling of a baby moving around inside me and I really miss it. It's the closest you'll ever be to your children - and the most control you'll ever have over them too.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home