Thursday, October 05, 2006

And then there are days like today


When A. and I wake up and loll in bed for half an hour thinking up baby names (two is a lot harder than one, because they have to sound good together, sort of); and when I look out into the back yard while I eat my breakfast I imagine, a year from now, watching two little baby girls in sweaters taking their first bobbling steps; and I get a package in the mail from my friend Viva containing two of the kick-ass toddler t-shirt pictured above; and the babies are kicking and rolling and squirming all over the place; and I'm about to spend the afternoon writing, and the air outside is crisp and autumnal, and life feels pretty damned good.

Whereas yesterday, I was exhausted and out of it and blue, feeling as if my life, like some goofy cowboy's horse, had at some point walked out from under me, and here I was hanging onto a branch, feet dangling, wondering how long I'd be stuck like this. Only about 16 hours, as it turned out. Then, who knows how I'll feel tomorrow?

5 Comments:

Blogger scruffylooking said...

Sooo, what names did you decide on? One at a time was hard enough for me. We went with the family/bi-cultural thing - my oldest daughter has Irish names and my youngest has Spanish.

I'm glad you had a good day. You were due. Don't you love it when you recognize it while it's happening?

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that baby shirt rules. i insist you get 2. or i will have to have babies so i can get 2.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and then i insist i go back and re-read your post and realize you have TWO!! YAY! i can't wait till i can see two little baby girls in those shirts. that is going to so rule.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

Oh yes, CB, I indeed have two. And while I'm not a huge fan of the matching outfits concept in general, in this case I simply must make an exception. One baby girl in a pirate t-shirt is good, but two is just the shit.

And you know, of course, that the giver of the gift is a fellow '96 Eph...

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did not know.

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home