Friday, July 14, 2006

Them thar's babies!

I can't even express how amazing today's ultrasound was. Did you know that there were two small HUMAN BEINGS living inside me? I mean, I suspected -- what with the bulging belly and fatigue and all. But holy crap: today, we saw two little people on the screen. With faces and fingers and toes and spines and brains and little beating hearts.

And they were moving like crazy! Especially twin A -- the one closer to my cervix, who'll likely be born first. He was arching his back and kicking and waving his hands house-party style over his head. And, yes, at one point sucking on his thumb. Twin B was a little calmer than her hyperactive sibling, but also did a little turning and waving and hand munching. You see how, already, I've assigned them genders based completely on stereotypes -- the squirmy little boy, the well-behaved little girl. Terribly unprogressive of me.

Both twins were exactly the same size, on target for a due date of Jan. 14, if they were singletons. That's 4 days earlier than my calculated due date when I thought I only had one baby, so, they're already overachieving! (Not that 4 days ahead is such a big deal, but they're MY children, so I'm allowed to be overly proud of their achievements, non?)

Also happy to report that their nuchial folds are normal, so the risk of Down Syndrome looks very low. They also have good nasal bones, which is apparently another (positive) indicator. I had blood drawn for additional tests, and we'll get those results next week, which are more definitive, but I'm not too worried.

I'm smitten.

2 Comments:

Blogger SER said...

I read this last night before I went to sleep, and I had a dream that I saw a photo of your little ones in 3-D (like those scans they do at the mall, or places like malls, or so I am told). They were both boys, both blond, and approximately 4 years old. Just FYI on that.

It must have been so awesome to see them - your description is great. Yay! Twins!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

2 blonde boys, eh? Well, both Alastair and I were blond (him VERY blond) as little 'uns, so that could well be a premonition..!

Julie -- twin mamas start showing much earlier than singleton mamas, for obvious reasons. It's why at six months you'll look, well, six months pregnant, and I'll look like I'm about to go into labor any second. ;-)

As for the ultrasounds, we had early ones at the fertility clinic (they check in on you early, I think because there's a high risk of ectopic or chemical pregnancies when you do fertility treatments) and the one yesterday was for ERA (Early Results Assessment) genetic screening, which is optional, and happens between weeks 11-14. Our insurance covers it, so we figured why not.

And glorious feeling of wellbeing? Well, that would be a little bit of a stretch, but I definitely feel less tired. And my appetite is much less finicky.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home