Wednesday, June 14, 2006

An experiment

Greetings, non-existent readers.

I created this blog over a year ago as a place to post allegedly humorous writing by myself and some of my (much funnier) friends, but lost steam, had another project to focus on, and let the idea die. Now, I'm considering a new, more conventional iteration of this blog -- one in which I actually post my own personal musings / news / etc.. The triggering occasion for this is the fact that I'm pregnant -- 9 weeks today, with twins -- and have a number of far-flung friends that I think (and maybe I delude myself) wouldn't mind hearing updates on how things are proceeding, seeing pictures of me when I get as big as a house, etc.

But I'm not entirely sure I can go through with it. The thing is, the idea of this kind of blog feels awfully self-indulgent to me. I mean, seriously, who CARES about me, my opinions, my burgeoning uterus?? This is why I've never been very good at writing memoir-esque non-fiction in general: re-reading it is akin to hearing my own voice played back on a tape recorder. Ugh.

On the other hand, I have no problem at all blabbing incessantly about my life to friends in emails. So, I'm going to try to think of this blog (if it survives beyond this inaugural post) as just that: a big group email to my friends. And anyone else who happens to drop by.

I should also note that I don't find other people's blogs self-indulgent in the least. I've loved reading my good friend MWDB's account of her pregnancy. And I adore Bihari's musings on writng, motherhood, the medical profession, and life in general. While my husband and I were trying (unsuccessfully) to conceive, it was a great comfort to read blogs like this one by women struggling with infertility.

So, I really don't have a problem with the whole blog thang as it were. Just a mild case of self-loathing. But maybe this will prove to be an effective cure. So, I'm just going to quietly, secretly start posting, and maybe if I find that I like it, and actually feel compelled to do it, I'll continue. Like I said, it's something of an experiment.

Oh, and if anyone who knows me who didn't know I was pregnant has happened to stumble here (though I can't imagine how or why you would...) well, I guess the cat's out of the bag. Do me a favor: pretend you didn't see this, and keep it quiet for a few more weeks, K? Thank you!

More soon....maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home